Top Of The League - 12/11/2016 Game Recaps

First Team

The first team beat down on NY Ukrainians 6-2 on their home turf in McCarren Park on Sunday, adding 3 points to their league-leading total. The Kickers held possession for the first 15 minutes and found plenty of space in and around the opposing defense. In the first half alone, Oliver found Brian Morris three times in front of goal to give the Kickers a 3-0 lead at halftime. In the second half, the Kickers conceded a tough goal on a corner when Bernie Sheary was shoved from behind and unable to control the cross with his hands. The Kickers would get two more goals back before conceding a rather nice goal from another corner kick to make the score 5-2. In the last minute of the game, Vlad took off down the left flank, beating a defender before getting chopped down in the box. Albi converted the penalty as the final whistle blew and the game finished 6-2.

Second Team

The 2nd team fell 1-0 to NY Ukrainians in an ugly, but hard fought game. The Kickers started the game asleep and were punished when the Ukrainians ran through our defense and struck home a volley in the first 5 minutes. From there, the Kickers sparked to life and began playing their game, moving the ball around decently and piling pressure onto their opponents for the rest of the half. The second half was an uglier affair from both teams, each giving away possession frequently. The Kickers played more and more direct as time ran out, but weren't able to catch the lucky bounce or defender error they were looking for, and ended the game off a failed header from a corner kick. 

Over-30 Premier

In the 25th minute of the match, Russ Osur's free kick went through Andres Garcia to (MVP) Stu Kaiser for a nifty finish. Khouri Mulling could have put the game out of reach with his chip of the Celtic Keeper in the 30th minute but the shot hit the cross bar and careened away, leaving the score 1-nil at half-time. 

In the second half, the Kickers played with 10 men when Russ Osur went down with hamstring injury. With no subs and missing a few key players, the Kickers battled on and still maintained the better run of play. As the game wore on, things were slowly beginning to unravel requiring GK Mike Fitzgerald to make a few saves to maintain the lead, until a bad turnover lead to a Celtic counter find an equalizer in the 80th minute. The Kickers continued press but a player short and time running out, the Celtic Bhoys would hang on for the draw.