Off-Season Signings Give Kickers Life - 3/26 Game Recaps

First Team

The Kickers first team avenged their only loss of the Fall season by beating Central Park Rangers 3-2 on Saturday night on Randall's Island. The Kickers started slow, failing to maintain possession, looking nervy on the ball and especially in front of goal. Down 1-0 at half, they switched to a 3-5-2 formation, which provided more options going forward. Off-season signing Remi wasted no time in his debut to get on the scoresheet after coming on as a substitute, tying the game 1-1. The Kickers would concede again on a thundering header from a cross after the Kickers failed to get the ball out of their own box. Another off-season signing Chris Hall poked home a scrappy goal to tie the game 2-2, and Remi added his second goal of the game in the 88th minute—beating the left back down the flank—to steal the three points for the visitors.


The Kickers Reserves "lost" 1-1 on Saturday in their first game of the season, one that left a bitter taste in everyones mouth. The Kickers got off to an encouraging start, maintaining the bulk of possession and creating dangerous chances while limiting pressure on the defensive side. Their pressure paid off with a well worked goal involving Dennis K making a penetrating run through the opponents box only to slyly slide the ball across goal to Aussie-man Danny who slotted the ball into the open net. The Kickers finished off the rest of the half strongly, building on their dominance of possession, and doing a good job of opening the field by switching the field well to their wingers who were causing plenty of havoc. Unfortunately, it was a tale of two halves, as the Kickers came out a bit less organized and lacking in concentration in the second half. Given it was the first game of the season, perhaps fatigue took hold, because the team's movement was slower, their passing less sharp, and they began inviting more and more pressure as the game went on. This pressure led to two great breakaways, though both collapsed due to poor finishing. The Kickers were finally made to pay when a failed clearance (and un-called handball) allowed a volley from the top of the box to strike the goal post, ricocheting back to and off of GK Mike's ass, and back into the goal. After that, both teams had some chances but when the whistle blew, the Kickers walked off dejected and frustrated, despite it being Saturday night. They look to rebound next week against FC Beyond.